Friday 15 April 2011

Service or a smile?

What is good service?  Probably different for everyone.  I was told "you will love the service in Asia", "great service in Asia".  Singapore Airlines puts all the other airlines to shame and is my favorite airline.

Plenty of people willing to carry my bags, open the door, say good-morning, yes sir, three bags full, etc - but not sure that is my definition of service.   One nice thing is since the tip is included, no pressure to tip.  Taxi drivers seem surprised I round up - 23.40 fare to 25 RM.

But out in the day to day world .......
  • Trying to get a mobile phone - settled on a model we wanted - "oh but we don't have any in stock"  And so why were we discussing this model? 
  • Trying to arrange a birding trip for Janet - "what day do you want to go?"  "Next Wed or Thursday" - "sorry - nothing open until the 1st of May". 
  • Man that cleans our room in the hotel - need to push him to get him to change the sheets.  His method of washing dishes is to rinse them in water - no soap needed. 
  • Makes me leery of eating utensils in eating places when I see the silverware just dumped into cold water bucket and then pulled out for the next user or the locals inspect and wipe down silverware.
  • Waiters getting lost during the meal - tip is already factored in - don't stress
  • Getting a bank account opened - and trying to get 2 debits cards (one for Janet, one for me) - nope - policy is 1 debit card per account - no violation of policy (with a smile)
    • This the easy bank opening experience - since it was an office drive by the bank.  My team said it was a great deal - waiving internet banking transaction fees!  What are internet banking transaction fees? 
Polish co-workers - says it reminds him of communist times - you pretend to pay us, we pretend to work - but with a smiling face.  I think it's more like Caribean Island time - when it happens, it happens.

In general it seems if you have a clearly defined task or job - nobody better.  But people are less comfortable operating in the white spaces or going beyond "their job".  Asian saying - the nail that sticks out, gets hammered down - better to stay within the lines.

My definition of service is finding a way to solve a problem for customer with or without the smile.

Janet has told me for almost 24 years, I need to learn patience .............

No comments:

Post a Comment