Monday 11 April 2011

Water Closet Adventures

I learned to snow ski on a rope tow (dating myself) with the people that knew how to ski (on a rope tow).  Not that I was a good skier but I thought I knew enough to ride a chair lift that if I watched others I could figure it out and “fake it until I made it” - my life motto.  You probably know how it ended – while my brother and I didn’t fall immediately at the top of the Chair lift  we did cause a traffic jam and slowed everyone down.  Malaysia at times has felt like that – thinking I can bluff my way through things with mixed results. 

Throughout Asia there are two types of Water Closets (Toilets for Americans) – Western – a toilet and a hole (Chinese).  In Malaysia the twist is a hose with sprayer attachment like an American would use to wash his car with.  The “orienter” lady (English lady here for 18 years) shared with Janet that she wasn’t sure how the Muslim women did it but they came out of the stalls dry and all put together but the stall left behind was as if the previous person had used it as a shower stall. 

Typical Matt – that is female issue, being male I can ignore it (another way I simplify and make my life easier).  Right hand/left hand (if you don’t know, you don’t want to) – rise your hand and move on.  Sadly, this was not a gender but a hygine issue.  I walked into a stall (day 3)  and it was like I had walked into a shower stall.  To make matter worse wet toilet paper was stuck everywhere.  I walked down a flight of stairs and had no problems.

This picture is what greeted me on my first stall visit.  I think women throughout history have been asking this question in various forms.  This one has a unique artistic approach. 

I make sure I flush 3x if necessary to keep the ladies happy.

  
(If you know how to rotate picture in Blogsport - please let me know)

No comments:

Post a Comment