Saturday 23 April 2011

Odds and Ends

Different things that strike me a funny/interesting - probably will make into longer posts later but will give people a sense of what daily life is like.

1) I haven't found a library here - but a found Book Exchange.  Turns out it really a book rental place - where you can rent a book for one month for 6 RM (2 USD).  Pretty good deal compared to local new book prices.  The interesting things were:
  • Books are alphabetized by authors first names.  Doesn't make sense for Western viewer but in Asia, surname is first ......  So now I will look up favorite author's first names
  • When I was checking out - the clerk (who had lived in Fairfax, VA) - really nice guy - kept telling me the system was flawless - "It's all in the computer" - don't disagree computers can make things more organized but interesting viewpoint
2) Newspaper articles topics have a different twist:
  • Lots of debate and letters to editor about if men or women were worse drivers
  • "Fake" eggs - a report of manufactured eggs (later proven to be poor quality eggs) was a big story for several weeks.  My thought (which later came out in some of the articles) was how was manufacturing eggs cost effective (like counterfeiting $1 bills). 
    • It was a big issue due to potentially being non-Halal (approved for Muslim's to eat)
  • Homeless are begging (like everywhere in the world) - Headlines - "Blind, Disabled and Teachers protest against Homeless"
    • Blind and Disabled - didn't like the competition
    • Teachers???? - didn't want the kids to walk past beggars
  • Lots of debate about teaching which language in school for Math and Science - English or Malay?
    • English is the answer for where Malaysia wants to go (compete in the world) but hard to battle nationalistic tendancies anywhere
  • Indonesian caddies - who offer extra services at the 19th hole (bad pun)
    • In general lots of fascination and repressed sexual tension
  • Debate on how to treat your maid
    • Can your maid be trusted with her own money?
  • Now there is a prohibition on Indonesian maids (taking jobs away from Malaysians)
3) Being on the other side of generalizations
  • Several people on my staff from various countries - Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia as well as Malaysia have said their impression was Americans were lazy - but I'm always in early and staying late - what gives?
  • Cave tour guide mentioned that cave cockroaches had evolved differently than outside cave cockroaches.  Then apologized to Janet and I, since as Americans we didn't believe in evolution
  • Cab drivers warn me about areas where there are "snatch thieves" - basically motorbike riders who spot women carrying purses loosely and then drive up and "snatch" the purse and drive off.  "Big problem in Malaysia - all the "snatch thieves" are Indonesians and Thais - no Malaysian"
4) Value of Money/Tipping
  • In general, I like the fact that everyone doesn't have their hand out for a tip and have no problem walking past all the hotel staff holding doors and other useless stuff.  But I do operate in a parallel economy and have no problem tipping where it makes sense.  Amazing how 2-5 RM ($1-2 USD) is appreciated. 
    • Part of it is my goal to make sure taxi's and other service providers stop for me (Westerner)
    • I got a haircut today for the first time (15 RM - $5 USD) - gave a 5 RM tip (no one else had tipped and I got some hard stares by other patrons but the lady seemed to really appreciate it and did a nice job.  She will be happy to see me next month.
  • Varies slightly but the grocery stores charge for plastic bags (10 RM cents - $0.03 USD) - if you need a bag, you need a bag but sometimes the clerks look at me like I'm crazy to pay that kind of money for a bag
  • A local Papa Johns (I walked in an picked up first time) - delivers - but the manager told me (to prepare me) - 2 RM delivery charge (with no tipping expected for the delivery guy - I think I can handle it)
5) Western bubble
  • Going to the malls is like an Asian version of any mall in the US.  Outside out local mall (Bangsar Village) is a collection of small store fronts much more Asian - prices somewhat cheaper but much more local flavor
  • I'd like to find a cheap place to get custom made business shirts and suits -
    • Suits - seem to start at 1100 RM ($350 USD)
    • Shirts - seem to start at 250 RM ($85 USD)
    • Not terrible prices but not the deal I'm look for - so will need to keep looking
6) Simple, practical solutions
  • New sidewalks have a center section that is has bubbles - both for traction during rain and to allow the blind to stay on the path
  • Getting my haircut
    • Pay your money and get a numbered ticket - Gold Pass (not sure how the haircut would be different with a Silver pass) - so people can go wander and then come back when their number is called
    • At the end of the haircut - they attach a vacuum cleaner attachment to vacuum hose hanging from the ceiling and vacuum your lose hair - looks and feels funny - but no loose hair when you leave
7) Different version of cleanliness
  • Haircut - never cleaned up the previous customer's hair - the hand mirror was ringed with fingerprints
  • At resturants - always need to look at plates, silverware, glasses to see how clean - local will often wipe them down with a napkin before using
  • 1 napkin per order - I am messier than 1 napkin per meal so need to start bringing my own paper towels
8) Western food condiments - in love with mayonaise (which I hate)
  • I get a chicken Ciabatta sandwich most days for lunch (10.50 RM - $3.50 USD) which was almost uneatable with the sauce and mayonaise (thinkly applied) but very nice "dry".  Now that I'm a regular and know everyone's names - no problem getting it my way - but at first - they couldn't believe I wanted it "dry"
  • French fries and more many other Western food have some variation of mayonaise as condiment served
9) Medicines
  • If you know what you want - just go to the pharmacy and ask for it - no perscription required
  • Much cheaper than in the US - different brands and not the variation in dosages but easily an order of magnitude cheaper to buy here than the co-pay in the US

No comments:

Post a Comment