Sunday 3 July 2011

Signs, everywhere Signs

How many of you think in "songs"?  Probably more than will admit it - Janet and I have found ourselves doing it more as we moved to Asia a way to explain something that is a challenge to explain.

Chorus of Sings/Sings song by the Five man electrical band from the 60s -
- Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
- Breakin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
- Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

In Asia we have found some great signs - I need to take my camera with me always.  Especially the farther off the beaten path the English is often a literal translation from another language - entertaining for English limited speakers. 

As the old joke goes
- A person who speaks three languages is trilingual
- A person who speaks two languages is bilingual
- A person who speaks one language is ............................An American

When I tell this joke in Malaysia - people protest that they speak 5 languages and three dialects - so what does that make them?  Much more culturally aware than me.  Come on you are missing the point.

Signs from Borobudur (Indonesia)





This is to keep people from taking rubbings of the carvings and eventually wearing them smooth





Not a silly sign but just to let you know I am not always a smart alec


Sign keeping me people the from the 5-6 and 7th levels at Borobudur - ignored that one
















Yogjakarta Sultan's Palace (Indonesia)



You can come in but don't let your shoes join you



Buddhist Temple in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)




The sign says it all - remember the boys in Slumdog Millionaire stealing shoes from the Taj Mahal guests?
 



The pond (very small) already had maximum capacity of all three and didn't need any more

Reclining Buddha - (Penang, Malaysia)




Janet was born in 1960 and always assumed she was born in the year of the Rat - we had some interesting discussions if you would rather have the characteristics of a rat or mouse.
I was born in 1961 - I would much rather be an Ox than a Cow - but then I'd rather be a Snake, Dragon, just about anything than a Cow / Ox.  When I was talking about this - I was consoled that the Ox is steady, dependable, etc - lots of good traits.  Again - missing the point - better to be a top the food chain - how many people would select being an ant over an eagle? I'm sure the ant has great traits but .......... my ego gets in the way (maybe that is the point)




Pangkor Island (Malaysia)




The best - all joking aside - this is a sign that should be posted all over the US (and lots of Malaysia as well)

I didn't see any scales

No comments:

Post a Comment